Sunday, March 9, 2008

welcome to orangevillespaces

For a long time, I have thought about starting this blog. Welcome to orangevillespaces.

I am inspired by Spacing magazine and how they began and grew from mattb's acute observations in his comic strip on life in TO, to an award-winning, politically charged and influential magazine.

There is a dearth of information about our culture as Orangevillians. Where can we hear casual observations that reinforce, question and relay who we are? (for instance, are we "Orangevillians"? "Orangevillites"?) I want to share what I see, question why things are the way they are and open up the discussions that need to take place as Orangeville continues to grow and morph, always changing.

Orangevillespaces, I think, I hope, will be a place for observations and discussions, photos, poetry, who knows what else. Open your eyes, ears, smell the smells. What do you see? What do you like? (medians, anyone?) and what could you do without? (medians, anyone?) If you are listening (well, reading), then let me know. I will remain anonymous, and perhaps you will enjoy my ramblings, my reminiscing. Please let me know by responding - good and bad.

I grew up "in the Orangeville area", attended ODSS, and to date myself just a little bit, I worked for the Preuss' at a Tim Horton's that no longer exists. I remember Mary Browns, Pizza Delight and the Uptown, especially on $2.50 Tuesdays when the line-up stretched to the corner. The Grand Hotel and the Paradise. The original Harvey's location.

After a number of years studying and working south of here, I moved back in 2001 when it was time to buy real estate and work my way out of the rat race. I hoped to renew links to old friends, and that things would be the same as they used to be. They weren't. For many reasons.

For me, coming back to Orangeville after so many years has been eye opening on many levels. I hope you will come with me as I share my thoughts through orangevillespaces.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the blog Bethany! Keep up the great work!